Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TRB768

ROTH IRA WITHDRAW for EDUCATION EXPENSES

I am under 59 1/2 and have been fully vested for over 5 years.   Can I take a withdraw from my Roth IRA for my child's secondary education expenses without a penalty.  How do I report that to the IRS when I file my taxes. 

Thank you, 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

ROTH IRA WITHDRAW for EDUCATION EXPENSES

here is how it works: 

the first money withdrawn from the Roth is your contributed dollars - those were all after-tax contributions to begin with, so no tax implications - no income tax and no penalty.

Once all that is liquidated, the 2nd bucket of money withdrawn are any dollars converted from a TRAD IRA.  The dollars that were converted at least 5 years ago are not subject to any tax - no income tax and no penalty.  Any dollars converted in the last 5 years are subject to a 10% penalty (but no income tax). 

once that is all liquidated, the last bucket of money withdrawn is the increased value of the Roth.  Since you are under 59.5 years old, this bucket is subject to income tax and the 10% penalty for early withdrawal. 

You will avoid the 10% penalty where applicable for education expenses, but not any income tax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies