turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stimulus package - direct deposit

I'm wondering if the IRS has access to my bank routing number?  I used Turbo Tax and it goes through Santa Barbra bank to pay you.  With the stimulus package being approved, I wondered if IRS has that info. from you?

do you know?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When your return has been accepted, you cannot change or correct banking information in TurboTax.  The IRS is trying to set up a web based portal for tax payers to enter their banking information.

Also, see the following from the IRS:

How will the IRS know where to send my payment?

The vast majority of people do not need to take any action. The IRS will calculate and automatically send the economic impact payment to those eligible.

For people who have already filed their 2019 tax returns, the IRS will use this information to calculate the payment amount. For those who have not yet filed their return for 2019, the IRS will use information from their 2018 tax filing to calculate the payment. The economic impact payment will be deposited directly into the same banking account reflected on the return filed.

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

View solution in original post

@jcmanuel23  What portal did you use?  You cannot use the TurboTax portal if you already filed a return.  The IRS is going to give taxpayers the chance to enter their own banking information.  See the following:

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

@Shottamike23   Don't know why Thursday was mentioned but  the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will start directly depositing the economic impact payment—otherwise known as the stimulus check—directly into Americans' accounts for mid-April, around April 15.

These first direct deposits will go to Americans who filed tax returns in the past two years and whose payment details are already on record.

For those who have not filed tax returns recently, the Treasury said it was developing "in the coming weeks" a web-based portal to allow these people to provide their bank details and receive immediately the economic impact payment rather than waiting for checks in the mail.

Anyone else will have to wait for a paper check. The Washington Post reported that checks for lower-income individuals will be prioritized and mailed first, citing an internal IRS plan circulating internally.

The IRS will reportedly start mailing checks out to those unable to receive the economic impact payment digitally from April 24, but some may not arrive until September.

The Treasury said social security recipients, who do not usually have to file a tax return to the IRS, will receive their economic impact payments directly and automatically into their accounts.

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said social security recipients will get their stimulus payments "very quickly" after the first IRS deposits are made in mid-April.

You will get a check if you:

• Have a Social Security number.
  • Have filed taxes in 2018 or 2019, or don't earn enough to file but receive Social Security payments.
  • Earned less than $99,000 for single filers, $136,500 for heads of household, or $198,000 for married filers according to the most recent tax return filed.
  • Are not claimed by someone else as a dependent.

How much will I get?

The IRS bases the amount of your payment on the adjusted gross income (AGI) listed on your most recent tax return: 2018 or 2019.

The maximum payment is $1,200 for single filers with an AGI below $75,000 or single parents (heads of household) with an AGI below $112,500. Married couples who file jointly and have an AGI below $150,000 will get a total of $2,400.

349 Replies

From what I’ve heard so far, they use whatever routing number was on our tax return. Unfortunately, I gave the wrong routing number for my bank so I had to wait for my refund. I’m hoping there’s a way we can change, or confirm the routing number they will use when issuing the stimulus checks. 

IRS is supposed to send a letter to the address on file,15 days before the check is sent,so maybe there is an option to change your info.

AP26
Level 1

I read the other day that if your deposit info on your tax return was incorrect or has changed that you need to call the IRS and update your account information in order to have the stimulus direct deposited.

It's Likely they won't  contact you and just send a paper check. 

I want it direct deposit

himehiyoi

Will the stimulus money go on the turbo tax cards

YES, YOU HAVE TO CALL 18008291040 TO UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT AND ROUTING NUMBER

Yes. If you download a copy of your taxes it will show your routing and account number for the card you used, even if it is a TurboTax card issued when you filed.

Long as u did direct deposit through turbo tax with your bank information instead of gettimg a turbo card you should b fine

Unfortunately you can only receive it the way you received your tax return refund. If it was direct deposit then you have nothing to worry about. If you received a check then unfortunately you will have to wait for a check to be mailed to you. The only thing you can change is the address. 

Yes. It's considered direct deposit

Would the money be deposited into The TurboTax card if I did it though them also the stimulus check would be deposited into the TurboTax card

Im wondering the same

I read yesterday you can call IRS and change your routing number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies