Re: Covid-19 (Coronavirus) personal finance thread - Page 16

Covid-19 (Coronavirus) personal finance thread

the irs deposited my stimulas check into a turbo tax prepaid card (green dot). they dont have my money. that account has been closed. I keep getting the run around and I cant get any answers. Im very frustrated. Please help

@ kath65 wrote:

This is a user community forum, but we can tell you some things to check.  Did you receive the notification letter (Notice 1444) in the postal mail saying your stimulus payment has been issued? That letter usually comes 2-3 weeks after the stimulus payment was sent out.

If your TurboTax Prepaid Card account was no longer active, the Card company should have returned the money back to the IRS, and the IRS would issue you either a paper check in the mail, or less commonly the IRS might mail you a prepaid debit card.   Or did you previously pay any TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund?   If so, the IRS would have the temporary account info for the intermediary company (SBTPG) that first receives your refund when you choose that method.   Since that temporary account at SBTPG would now be closed, then SBTPG would return the money to the IRS.   In either case, when an account is closed, the money should have gone back to the IRS, and the IRS should mail you either a check or, less commonly, a prepaid debit card.

This is from a FAQ at the IRS website:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

If we (the IRS) issue a direct deposit and the bank information is invalid or the bank account has been closed, the bank will reject the deposit. We will then mail your Payment as soon as possible to the address we have on file for you, and we will update Get My Payment to reflect the date your payment will be mailed. Typically, once the payment is mailed, it will take up to 14 days to receive the payment, standard mailing time.

Is there any information at "Get My Payment" showing the current status of your payment?
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

You can ask the IRS to trace it.  This FAQ (Question 51) provides a phone number to use to ask the IRS for a trace or a paper form to submit by postal mail or FAX.

Q51:  How do I request a Payment Trace on my Economic Impact Payment?

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

don't know what this.

I receive SS

@Gregory D Burke Looks like you have tried to post something here but so far you have not asked a question.  How can we help?  

Mr Burke- @Gregory D Burke 

Thanks for the offer/reply. I'm just frustrated-my ex and I share custody of our 9-yr old son and alternate years that we claim him as a dependent. I get the 'even' years, she gets the 'odd' ones. 

Sooo...I filed 'early' this year (2019-like a good boy), but it was right before Covid hit and stimulus plans/checks were brought forth. Therefore, I did NOT get to claim him this year, his mom did-she may not have even filed yet, since deadline pushed to Oct 15th. (If I had waited, they would have gone off of 2018 returns/info)

Anywhooo, she makes too much money to be eligible for her to get the $500 for Jake, so NEITHER of us will get that $$ for him, which really kind of sucks.

I tried the 'non-filers' tool on IRS.gov-it even asked fro 2018 AGI info (which gave me slight hope), but when I submitted info, it said "return already submitted", which is true.  It just seems ridiculous that neither of us can get the $500 for our son, due to an 'anomaly' for the system. Furthermore, if they issue a second round of stimulus checks, I/we prob get screwed again, since it will be for 2019 and she claims him in 'odd years' and they will continue using this years IRS info, instead of 2018 or 2020.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to try to get one/both/either/ANY of the $500 child stim checks for our son?

Thanks,

Anthony

@danishwop The stimulus checks people are receiving in 2020 are based on 2018 or 2019 returns, but they are really an advance on a credit you will be able to get on your 2020 return that you file in 2021.  So if you did not get the $500 stimulus for a child under the age of 17,  you can get it on your tax return next year.

When you file your 2020 tax return if it’s your turn to claim your child, if you did not already receive stimulus credit for your child, you can get it with your 2020 tax return beginning of next year. The stimulus credit is a year 2020 credit, since nobody has filed yet & they wanted everyone to get the money ASAP, they’re using 2018 or 2019 tax return info.

not sure what to say

yes

I filed using the stimulus registration portal for non filers, added direct deposit information and it said I was set up for direct deposit.  I triple checked everything and submitted it.  It was accepted by the IRS but when I downloaded the submission PDF the direct deposit was wipee'd out.  Is this normal?  I'm scared I'll have to wait for a paper check and there is no way I'll make if I have to wait.  Please help!!!!

Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

So I was just informed from the IRS that some people didn't receive their stimulus check because of selecting the option of someone can claim me on the Tax returns. My parents never CLAIMED me on their tax returns. He wasn't very forthcoming with me for information, but does anyone think if I amend this, will I finally get a Stimulus check? 

Thanks to anyone that can get me an answer

@Michael Martzx If you said on your own tax return that you could be claimed as someone else's dependent you made yourself ineligible for a stimulus check---even if your parents did not claim you.  If you CAN be claimed as someone else's dependent then you are supposed to say so on your own return even if they do not end up claiming you.  If it was not correct that you COULD have been claimed then you can amend your return to change the way you answered the question about that in My Info.  

The reality is that amending in late October of 2020 will not result in you getting a stimulus check this year in 2020.  The normal time for processing an amended return is about four months.  During the pandemic it has been taking MUCH longer for the IRS to process an amended return.  

If you cannot be claimed as someone else's dependent when you prepare and file your 2020 return next year in early 2021, you will be able to get the stimulus money then.  The money people received in 2020 was an advance on a credit that will be on 2020 tax returns.

Do you fit the criteria to be claimed as someone else's dependent?

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?