turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Covid-19 (Coronavirus) personal finance thread

@Kurtisp12 wrote:

I completed my tax return on March 17 through turbotax. I have yet to receive my refund. Is there a reason for this and is there anything I can do to expedite?

Did you efile, or did you choose to print and mail the return?  If you filed a paper return, then due to the Coronavirus emergency, mailed paper returns were not being processed for the last several weeks, but paper processing has resumed recently.

If you efiled, you should double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.
If you used Online TurboTax, you can sign into your Online Account and check the efile status at the Tax Home.

If the Tax Home showed your efiled return was accepted, you can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to check on the status of your Federal refund.  
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

NOTE:  When using that tool, be sure to enter the correct SSN and filing status.  Use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.  The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

If the IRS tool says it is still being processed, here's how to reach the IRS for info on the delay, but it may not be easy.  Part of it is luck.  Due to the Coronavirus, some of the IRS call centers have been closed, some are operating with reduced personnel, and some are gradually opening back up.  Some users have reported that they have finally reached someone.   Here is the normal method to reach an IRS live agent when they are operating smoothly, and I'll also tell you how to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you continue to have no luck reaching the IRS, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.   They are still taking phone calls in most states.  They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.  If the Taxpayer Advocate office can't/won't help, ask them to transfer you to an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that was a backdoor way to reach an IRS agent, at least anecdotally for them.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

no thanks

lmlGrimm

Thank you for that info. I don't file anymore because my refund is always kept for student loans. I filed this year just so I can get my stimulus help and I wasn't sure if get it until I read your post. Put my mind at ease.

This doesn’t help with the people who still have “Status unavailable” just saying everyone knows the steps 

Rwdsimko

I completed filing, how long until my stimulus comes?  It says on here I dont have to do anything.  Since I have a ssn...  

Might have to wAit till end of the year what I’ve been told 

So I dont know what to do When the last Economic Impact Relief package was sent out I withdrew the money from my old bank and closed it and I have actually moved from my old address so I'm not entirely sure on what to do with this next relief package figured I'd come to Turbo thinking maybe some of you have an answer (I have not filed a change of address yet because the only old mail I had was junk mail and I still have family at my old home however my important mail never seemed to make it to me if you catch my drift I had 4 different debit cards mysteriously vanish in the mail in a row from 2 seperate bank accounts

Sock2019

I am a single mom, I claim my son every other year on my taxes,   So I don’t even got anything for the COVID stimulus check for my son?. I pay for his clothing, food, school supplies, I need help,

@Sock2019 What tax return did you claim your son on?   2018 or 2019?  Is he under the age of 17?  Are you the custodial parent?  Who did the child spend the most nights with in 2019?  The person who is the custodial parent is the one who can claim the child.  If you and the other parent are divorced/never married, then the IRS will only give the $500 stimulus to one of the parents--and we do not know which tax return the IRS used--2018 or 2019.  They can use either one.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kath65

the irs deposited my stimulas check into a turbo tax prepaid card (green dot). they dont have my money. that account has been closed. I keep getting the run around and I cant get any answers. Im very frustrated. Please help

@ kath65 wrote:

the irs deposited my stimulas check into a turbo tax prepaid card (green dot). they dont have my money. that account has been closed. I keep getting the run around and I cant get any answers. Im very frustrated. Please help

This is a user community forum, but we can tell you some things to check.  Did you receive the notification letter (Notice 1444) in the postal mail saying your stimulus payment has been issued? That letter usually comes 2-3 weeks after the stimulus payment was sent out.

If your TurboTax Prepaid Card account was no longer active, the Card company should have returned the money back to the IRS, and the IRS would issue you either a paper check in the mail, or less commonly the IRS might mail you a prepaid debit card.   Or did you previously pay any TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund?   If so, the IRS would have the temporary account info for the intermediary company (SBTPG) that first receives your refund when you choose that method.   Since that temporary account at SBTPG would now be closed, then SBTPG would return the money to the IRS.   In either case, when an account is closed, the money should have gone back to the IRS, and the IRS should mail you either a check or, less commonly, a prepaid debit card.

This is from a FAQ at the IRS website:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

If we (the IRS) issue a direct deposit and the bank information is invalid or the bank account has been closed, the bank will reject the deposit. We will then mail your Payment as soon as possible to the address we have on file for you, and we will update Get My Payment to reflect the date your payment will be mailed. Typically, once the payment is mailed, it will take up to 14 days to receive the payment, standard mailing time.

Is there any information at "Get My Payment" showing the current status of your payment?
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

You can ask the IRS to trace it.  This FAQ (Question 51) provides a phone number to use to ask the IRS for a trace or a paper form to submit by postal mail or FAX.

Q51:  How do I request a Payment Trace on my Economic Impact Payment?

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

don't know what this.

I receive SS

@Gregory D Burke Looks like you have tried to post something here but so far you have not asked a question.  How can we help?  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Mr Burke- @Gregory D Burke 

Thanks for the offer/reply. I'm just frustrated-my ex and I share custody of our 9-yr old son and alternate years that we claim him as a dependent. I get the 'even' years, she gets the 'odd' ones. 

Sooo...I filed 'early' this year (2019-like a good boy), but it was right before Covid hit and stimulus plans/checks were brought forth. Therefore, I did NOT get to claim him this year, his mom did-she may not have even filed yet, since deadline pushed to Oct 15th. (If I had waited, they would have gone off of 2018 returns/info)

Anywhooo, she makes too much money to be eligible for her to get the $500 for Jake, so NEITHER of us will get that $$ for him, which really kind of sucks.

I tried the 'non-filers' tool on IRS.gov-it even asked fro 2018 AGI info (which gave me slight hope), but when I submitted info, it said "return already submitted", which is true.  It just seems ridiculous that neither of us can get the $500 for our son, due to an 'anomaly' for the system. Furthermore, if they issue a second round of stimulus checks, I/we prob get screwed again, since it will be for 2019 and she claims him in 'odd years' and they will continue using this years IRS info, instead of 2018 or 2020.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to try to get one/both/either/ANY of the $500 child stim checks for our son?

Thanks,

Anthony

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies