Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Covid-19 (Coronavirus) personal finance thread

Why aren't we receiving email updates about what's going on behind closed doors? Is this really how you all want to lose your returning customers? It's a shame I have to go through all of this on my own, searching through comments for answers from others in my boat because turbo tax keeps giving generic answers. I'm pretty sure turbo tax employees received their checks already! I will definitely not be returning next time around.  

I stated that I can be claimed as a dependent due to circumstances for 2019 tax year, but I wasn't claimed and will not be claimed. Am I eligible for the Stimulus check?

IRS.gov's payment status page says that it cannot verify my eligibility status.

We filed our joint personal return using TurboTax. We did not get a refund and did not provide bank info on the 2019 return. We do get Social Security and those payments are direct deposited. 

Do you know if I need to amend our 2019 tax return (filed in February) to add bank info, if that is even possible with no refund, or will the IRS pick up the bank info from the SS accounts even though we filed a personal 1040-SR (because of income from some work which was actually a loss). 

I'm not sure if I messed up by not providing bank info or if we are just in a later batch of payments going to SS recipients. 

Hope that's clear. 

@NanceConfer wrote:

We filed our joint personal return using TurboTax. We did not get a refund and did not provide bank info on the 2019 return. We do get Social Security and those payments are direct deposited. 

Do you know if I need to amend our 2019 tax return (filed in February) to add bank info, if that is even possible with no refund, or will the IRS pick up the bank info from the SS accounts even though we filed a personal 1040-SR (because of income from some work which was actually a loss). 

I'm not sure if I messed up by not providing bank info or if we are just in a later batch of payments going to SS recipients. 

Hope that's clear. 

You do not have to do anything.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

People who aren't typically required to file a tax return

Social Security and Railroad Retirement recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return need to take no action. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 and Form RRB-1099 to generate Economic Impact Payments of $1,200 to these individuals even if they did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019. Recipients will receive these payments as a direct deposit or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their benefits. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) recipients are also part of this group who don't need to take action.

For Social Security, Railroad retirees and SSDI who have qualifying children, they can take an additional step to receive $500 per qualifying child.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

@hansolc 

As you indicated that you can be claimed as a dependent, you are not eligible for the stimulus payment.

The real question is whether you can be claimed as a dependent (see this TurboTax article). If you can be claimed as a dependent, but no one actually claims you, you are still ineligible for the stimulus payment.

If no one can claim you as a dependent, you'll need to amend your 2019 tax return in order to be eligible for the stimulus payment.

To amend your return, please follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The non-filer portal at IRS.gov rejects you if you have filed a 2019 return and are just there to add bank info. 

That's why I asked about filing an amended return. 

Or will the IRS eventually pick up the info from Social Security even though we filed?

OK, wait for the IRS to pick up the info from Social Security. Even though we filed. Got it. 

kgruter

i filed my taxes with turbotax an had my taxes on a turbo card that i already received last month because my bank account is closed. in 2018 i used the bank account i had an received it in. im having trouble looking up with the irs my status because its telling me its the wrong informant. i need the government check to go on the turbo card because i no longer have a bank account. turbotax also tells me i have received my full refund on my taxes an i still havent received my state; ive just received my federal, why is that? i need to know if my stimulus check is going on my turbo card or if im getting a check in the mail...     

@NanceConfer wrote:

The non-filer portal at IRS.gov rejects you if you have filed a 2019 return and are just there to add bank info. 

That's why I asked about filing an amended return. 

Or will the IRS eventually pick up the info from Social Security even though we filed?

The IRS will get the direct deposit information from the Social Security Administration.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and I file Married, but filing Separately. I have filed my 2019 taxes and he has not yet. Will our AGI's be combined? And if so, will it be his 2018 AGI and my 2019 AGI? Will our stimulus payments take longer than normal to be distributed?

PorshaGun

Hello, My question is if I filed my taxes and instead of the direct deposit I choose the payment card. How will I receive my stimulus payment? Will it come on that card or will I have to get a paper check? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

• I have access to my Turbo Visa Debit Card: If you have access to your Turbo Visa Debit Card, there is nothing more you need to do. You will be able to immediately use the stimulus funds upon deposit. You can sign in to your account to check your balance here: https://secure.turbodebitcard.intuit.com/login 

• I no longer have access to my Turbo Visa Debit Card: If you no longer have access to your Turbo Visa Debit Card, don’t worry. If you have registered your card and know your login credentials, you can request a replacement card by signing in to your Turbo Visa Debit Card account (https://secure.turbodebitcard.intuit.com/account/report-lost-or-stolen). If you don’t know your account login information, call 888-285-4169 for assistance. You will not be charged for a replacement card or check; standard fees will be waived or refunded to you.

Due to unprecedented traffic you may experience some delays on the site or phone line. We know everyone is anxious to get their stimulus money and we appreciate your patience.   

For additional questions, including how to receive a check, please go to the Turbo Visa Debit Card site: https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/turbo-card/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi. I received an email Tuesday the 14th and it stated that my stimulus check was going to be deposited onto my TurboTax Card because that’s how i chose to get my 2019 taxes. Well, I have not yet received anything. Do I need to do anything? 

How do use TurboTax debit card for my tax return and my similar to check is not showing that it went to my TurboTax debit card and I did not change any information so what would be the reason for it going to a different account I’ve never heard of?

My stimulus check says it was scheduled for deposit on the 15th and the acct number was from last years card and I never got to use that card because my taxes were taken before I got them. I dont have that card anymore and now I dont know where my money is! I have put in for a new card but who knows if that'll even work. What should I do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies