turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

child deductions 2021

my twins are seniors in high school they just turned 18 in September i didnt get anything for them extra monthly like most did for their kids. But can i not claim them anymore ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

child deductions 2021

You can still claim them as dependents.   They are too old so you do not get the child tax credit for them.   You get the $500 credit for other dependents for them, and you get the $1400 stimulus (if you did not get it already).  If they are full-time students you can claim them until the year they turn 24

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2021 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,300 in 2021.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them. There may be other tax benefits you can get when you claim a dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

child deductions 2021

It turns out you don't qualify for these credits

thats message i get for my twins and there is not a 500.00 credit for each

Because she is 17 or older and she had another disqualifying situation, Daniella doesn't count for the Child Tax Credit.

child deductions 2021

Did you enter their Social Security numbers?   Did you say they lived with you for at least half the year?  When it asked if they paid for over half their own support did you say NO?

Try deleting them in My Info and then re-entering their information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

child deductions 2021

i removed and re entered its saying they qualify as dependent, but taxes didn't change is that normal?

child deductions 2021

The $500 credit for other dependents is not a refundable credit.   it is applied toward any tax liability you have that would otherwise have you paying tax.  It is not added to your refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies