Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Murphy941

NOT a Loan - Balance on State School Student Account

Hi Everyone, 

Back in 2012 when I was 19 I had been attending a state college. At the end of Summer and start of a new semester, I experienced a family emergency that made it not possible for me to attend the upcoming term. When informed, the school replied that I was four days past the date to "unenroll" and that they did not make exceptions to this deadline. I apologized that it was not possible for me to stay and attend classes, and that I would be leaving regardless, there was nothing I could do. 

I'd been paying out of pocket and working through school because I did not want debt. I discovered later on that the school charged a full $10,000 to my personal student account for an entire semester of full time classes and room/board. I was furious they had done this and was grieving heavily at the time the loss of my parents, so I wasn't in the best state of mind, I did not pursue dispute.

I had already broken off ties with the school to pursue other interests when this charge came to my attention, but I realize they are taking my state tax refund every year still, even after 10 years now. It's only 25 dollars or so here and there, but it's the principle that after so long they are still pursuing me for services I did not receive, for a departure that I made clear to them. 

How long can they do this for?

Thank you,

Murphy

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

They will continue to do it until it is paid off or, until you contact the school and settle the matter with them.  If you make sure you have owe a little bit of tax each year, they won't be able to take refund since you won't have one.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Murphy941

Thank you David, I appreciate your insight

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies