turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Active Duty military, Home of record is Illinois. Stationed in Kansas. I put state of residence as Illinois and that I lived in no other states. I owe $421 to Illinois??

Correct.  You should then indicate no KS income and show a refund.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Active Duty military, Home of record is Illinois. Stationed in Kansas. I put state of residence as Illinois and that I lived in no other states. I owe $421 to Illinois??

Maybe her taxes weren't withheld in KS. How do I know? Her W2 gave her employers number, state wages and states income tax.

under nonresident military compensation under KS should I change the number to 0 instead of what it is?

when I did that, it lowered the amount we got back from KS by 100

Can you check her W2 Box 15 to be sure?

box 15 is State which says KS

Ok great.  So the income reported should be zero

where at?

Just a minute, looking it up!

Thank you so much!

Ok, in the Kansas return, edit Income- look for the PartYear and Nonresident Income Allocation and you will enter 0 here as well (look in the answer box for picture)

Okay, I did this and Illinois is still 421. Any ideas?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies