turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do i do if i'm in the military and have a vehicle registered in a state i do not reside in?

I do state taxes for Alabama but my vehicle is registered in California
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

What do i do if i'm in the military and have a vehicle registered in a state i do not reside in?

The vehicle registry is immaterial.  This happens all the time for Military people posted all over the place...but not "at Home". What is important is your Home of record-HOR (or State of Legal Residence-SLR if you legally changed it at some time, with a DD form 2058)

You file taxes for your HOR/SLR state as your state of residence, and only file in the state where you might be posted if you worked off-duty at some civilian job in that "other" state  (or owned a rental property you have income from in the non-resident state).

CA does occasionally annoy/send out Tax Questions to military people with vehicles bought/registered in CA, even if that person is not a CA HOR/SLR person...and they then have to respond that they are NOT CA Military folks...not sure what documentation is required.

What is my military state of residence? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
TomD8
Level 15

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-industry-registration-procedures-manual-2/nonresident...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies