turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax says it can't file our AL taxes

Good afternoon,

I'm active duty military, my spouse is a civilian who lived in GA for part of 2020.  Turbo tax has a warning message saying AL  requires we file separately even though we are filing federal jointly.  Well, does anyone know how to get this done online? Accountants want 700+ dollars just do file his state taxes.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

My apologies! Thank you so much for your service!!!

The laws changed in 2018 for the spouse. If the spouse lived with you instead of their normal resident state and you were posted somewhere outside of your resident state, then your spouse can just say they are a resident of your state. In fact, the federal side wants you voting in the same state and says that for federal purposes, you are residents of the same state.

This was created to avoid the nightmare of MFS and MFJ and all the different rules between the states. You may have to file multiple states but they can all be MFJ.

If you meet the above requirements, you can definitely file that way.

If not, you will do a fake MFS federal to create a real MFS state return. See download products.

For full instructions, see How do I prepare a joint federal return and separate state returns?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

If your wife is following you around to your assigned stations, she may be able to claim the same residency as you. See MSRRA: Military Spouses Residency Relief Act . This would allow you to file MFJ for AL and claim a credit for the GA income.

Otherwise, you can create a dummy MFS return. If you are using the FreeFile delivered by Intuit TurboTax. then price is not a concern. If you are paying for the returns, you may want to switch to the desktop to save money.

Thank you, isn't it too late for my husband (civilian) to claim my state of residency at this point? I just came across that earlier today as an option.  Just wondering if we can do it for this year's filing.  

What do you mean switch to desktop version?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

My apologies! Thank you so much for your service!!!

The laws changed in 2018 for the spouse. If the spouse lived with you instead of their normal resident state and you were posted somewhere outside of your resident state, then your spouse can just say they are a resident of your state. In fact, the federal side wants you voting in the same state and says that for federal purposes, you are residents of the same state.

This was created to avoid the nightmare of MFS and MFJ and all the different rules between the states. You may have to file multiple states but they can all be MFJ.

If you meet the above requirements, you can definitely file that way.

If not, you will do a fake MFS federal to create a real MFS state return. See download products.

For full instructions, see How do I prepare a joint federal return and separate state returns?

No sweat at all.  Ok so we do qualify for  him claiming my home state.  I already paid for the online version .... could I file the federal on there and do a download for the state taxes? Thank you so much for your help by the way!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can file online. Do a GA nonresident and AL resident return, both will be MFJ. The GA return would be a refund since none of the income is taxable. See 2018 Withholding and Taxation of Military Spouses.pdf

Meanwhile, AL will tax it all.

Thanks again for your service. If you retire from the military, AL will not tax any of the retirement pay. One of the best states for military retirement.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies