Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT is not calculating correctly my North Carolina taxes because I am a military veteran and my retired pay is still being taxed, how do I get my taxes done right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

TT is not calculating correctly my North Carolina taxes because I am a military veteran and my retired pay is still being taxed, how do I get my taxes done right?

First check that you have selected former military and NC as your resident state in the "My Info" section.  Then "Edit" the 1099-R for your retirement pay.  The follow on question will ask about the NC retirement,

Here are the requirements for exclusion of your retirement from NC taxes. The amount should have populated the box from your 1099-R but if not, and Bailey applies to you select the button and put the retirement amount in the box.  

The Bailey settlement applies to pension plan participants before August 12, 1989.

Your defined benefit distributions qualify if you had five or more years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989 from one of the following:
 - Federal Employees' or US Civil Service retirement system
 - North Carolina Teachers' or State Employees'retirement system
 - North Carolina Local Governmental Employees' retirement system
 - North Carolina Consolidated Judicial retirement system

You also qualify if you made contributions to the North Carolina 401(k) or 457 plan before August 12, 1989.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

And the Federal Employee retirement distributions include those for the Military (in case you were unsure):

https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/individual-income-tax/bailey-decision-concerning-federal-state-and...

But the part about 5 years of service before 12 Aug of 1989 still applies.  Many newer Military retirees find they are not eligible to exempt their Military pensions from NC taxes.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies