Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pncbiz

Spouse's taxes after retiring from military

My wife worked as a substitute teacher all of last year.  For the first six months, I was in the military so she claimed residency with me in the state of Florida - no state income tax was withheld.  After I retired, she became a Maryland state resident with me and the school started withholding Maryland state income tax.  However, the W-2 reflects all of her income as Maryland (we're working to fix that).  I've changed the numbers in TurboTax to reflect the amount she earned as residents of Maryland and Florida (on the W-2), but it did not change the Maryland tax (it should have dropped).  How do I get TurboTax to recognize the Florida portion of her income as non-Maryland income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL

The program should have an income allocation interview in the MD tax return program (don't change the state allocations in the Form W-2). In order to make the income allocation work, you have to show that you changed your state of residence from FL to MD. That, and your answers to the MD state return interview, will trigger the program to suggest filing a part-year resident tax return.

How to do that? When you complete the Personal Interview:

1. Select MD as your state of residence;
  2. Answer "Yes" to "lived in another state in 2016?" (That state would be FL)
  3. Date you became a resident of the new state? (That would be the date you left the service or retired)

(The question "lived in another state" applies to your state of residence. Active-duty military are considered to be "living" in their home of record state, regardless of where they are stationed. When you retired and remained in MD, you changed your residency to MD).

pncbiz

ToddL, thanks for the answer - but I've done all that.  Turbo Tax still isn't apportioning the income appropriately.
ToddL

Unfortunately, you will have to contact one of our support agents by telephone to help resolve this issue. See the Contact Us page (<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/</a>). I don't have access to the tools needed to see  what is happening and resolve it
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies