Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Full-time active duty Army soldier stationed in the U.S. How do I know how much of my total military income is ACTIVE DUTY PAY?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Full-time active duty Army soldier stationed in the U.S. How do I know how much of my total military income is ACTIVE DUTY PAY?

If you were the whole year on active duty then all of your military pay should be active duty pay. It will be on your W-2 from DFAS.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanaB
Expert Alumni

If you were the whole year on active duty then all of your military pay should be active duty pay. It will be on your W-2 from DFAS.

so where on the W-2 will it say ACTIVE DUTY PAY? I just want to make sure this is for combat zone pay.  The soldiers W-2 does NOT say ACTIVE DUTY PAY anywhere; even though solder is full time at Ft Carson Army Base.
DanaB
Expert Alumni

It won't say on the W2 "active duty pay". For pay you received while being deployed in a Combat Zone you will have the code Q  nontaxable combat pay in box 12. Being stationed at Fort Carson isn't a combat zone. Having "active duty pay" won't help you on the federal but might help you when filing your State return. You can mark in TurboTax that this W2 is for active duty pay. If you were the whole year on active duty all of it is active duty pay.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies