Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Your transmission didn't go through (SMS Number related?)

We could not e-file your return for the following reason:

The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending. To ensure you have the latest version of TurboTax, wait 24 hours to update your program automatically. If you still can't transmit your return, go to www.support.turbotax.com for a solution or workaround. In some cases, you may need to file your return by mail. - 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

----

The bottom error message is a bit strange (between 10 and 10 digits) and I checked my phone number under 'My Info' and my number is exactly 10 digits.  I've tried multiple days across multiple computers.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Solved it.  Turns out the issue was related to the phone number being a non-US number.  If that's all you have, like me, just make something up and it will work.  Hopefully Domino's pizza doesn't mind.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Solved it.  Turns out the issue was related to the phone number being a non-US number.  If that's all you have, like me, just make something up and it will work.  Hopefully Domino's pizza doesn't mind.

Carl
Level 15

The reference to "SMS" would seem to indicate that you requested text notifications of when your return was accepted. You are correct that it will not work with a non-US phone number. One thing you can do in the future if this arises again, is just use a phone number that you "know" is not text capable - such as your parent's home phone landline number.

xavierm

I am getting the same error message with the comment about the SMS number.

But the only place I see a phone number is within "my info", and although I do have a foreign address, I have a US number there. Is there another place I need to change my phone number?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of Turbo Tax.  No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when your are done. Then go back to you return an continue filing. 

Solution: Intuit Account -> Sign In & Security -> Phone (change & save no need to verify) -> back to e-file and retry.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My phone number is from US however, Im still getting this error. Can you please help?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of Turbo Tax.  No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when your are done. Then go back to you return an continue filing. 

Solution: Intuit Account -> Sign In & Security -> Phone (change & save no need to verify) -> back to e-file and retry.

I says "Your transmission didn't go through. Duplicate Social Security Number"

I checked and SSN are correct.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

It says something about a social security number when you hit the Transmit returns button OR did your tax return get rejected?    Is it possible the it said SMS and not SSN?   If so, the fix is below.  You need to change your phone number on your Intuit account.  

There seems to be an issue with e-filing when there is not a US phone number listed in your Intuit Online account.   When you are signed into your account, click on Intuit Account in the bottom left corner.    The error is not from the phone number on your tax return but rather the phone number attached to your Intuit (TurboTax) account.  

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of Turbo Tax.   No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when you are done. Then go back to your return and continue filing.   Don't use a Google Voice number, a Skype number, or any other non-US or non-verifiable phone number.  Again, you don't have to verify the number but the number needs to be verifiable.  

You may be able to leave the phone number field blank on your Intuit account and e-file your return.  No matter which option you use, make sure to update your account with your correct phone number once your return is e-filed.  

@theorsimon

NitinTax

Please help urgently. I have already implemented the fix with a verified US mobile number and I still can't e-file!!

NitinTax

Never mind, signed out and signed back in and it is working now. Though I got another error but I am working on that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies