Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mbaur

My husband is active duty and we currently have Texas as our state of residency. I work in Virginia but we live in Maryland, am I exempt from state taxes? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My husband is active duty and we currently have Texas as our state of residency. I work in Virginia but we live in Maryland, am I exempt from state taxes? Thank you!

Yes you are since you share TX residency with your military spouse then you are exempt from state income tax on wages ... fill out whatever form the employer needs so they stop state withholding. 

Carl
Level 15

In a nutshell, you're exempt from paying VA state taxes. But it's up to you do complete the necessary paperwork with your employer so they will not withhold state tax from your wages. You should also read the FAQ at https://www.tax.virginia.gov/military-spouses-residency-relief-act-faqs since there's three states involved here - tax home state, current residence state, and the state you work in.

TomD8
Level 15

If necessary, submit Virginia Form VA-4 to your employer.  Check Box 4 on the form to indicate that you are exempt from Virginia withholding.  Here's a link to the form:  https://www.tax.virginia.gov/sites/default/files/taxforms/withholding/any/va-4-any.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies