Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BM9NBA2
Returning Member

2019 Tax refund

I'm currently waiting to ship out for the U.S Army, I filed my standard taxes so now I'm just waiting for my W-2s to amend them. If they dont arrive before I leave would I just file them for next year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

2019 Tax refund

Please explain.  What are Standard taxes?    What did you file if you don't have your W2s?  You have 3 years to amend a filed return.  You can only file 2019 W2 on a 2019 return.  

BM9NBA2
Returning Member

2019 Tax refund

Oh okay so I pretty much just went through with the tax process without having my W-2 so I will just amend it when I do get it. You answered my question then, kinda new to taxes. I'll be away for about 5-6 months so I know tax season will be over by then. 

2019 Tax refund

Did you actually file?  You can get an extension and efile until Oct 15.  You can efile  until Oct 15 even without an extension.  

Turbo Tax will start stocking piling efiled returns on January 3, 2020 but the IRS won't start taking returns until January 15, 202 or later.

If you claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) the IRS cannot issue EITC and ACTC refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects most EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards by the first week of March, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return. Check Where’s My Refund for your personalized refund date.

And don't file early!  Last year (for 2018) the IRS put out some late changes and some early filers got tax due notices after they got their refund.  Also if you file in an early batch they get stuck in processing and might even take longer to get your refund.  

And You should wait because you might get a late W2 or 1099 in the mail.  They have until Jan 31 to send you the tax forms.  Or they may send you a corrected W2 or 1099 even later.

BM9NBA2
Returning Member

2019 Tax refund

Yeah I filed with the free edition, I didnt e-file though. My file says ready to mail, wish I'd have known that before didnt know you could e-file till October, I dont have a refund at all without my W-2 so I figured I'd just amend it when I get shipped back. 

2019 Tax refund

Well if you didn't actually print it out and mail it yourself it hasn't been filed yet.  You can wait and still efile it later.

You can switch to efile

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-change-from-mail-to-e-file-in-turbotax-online... 

BM9NBA2
Returning Member

2019 Tax refund

Awesome, thanks so much. I bookmarked the link so I'll wait till I get my W-2 and file if it comes in time, if not will just do it when I get back home. 

Carl
Level 15

2019 Tax refund

Yeah I filed with the free edition, I didnt e-file though.

Based on the information given in this thread, you have *NOT* filed a 2019 tax return in any way, form or fashion. But what you *NEED* to do and do it *RIGHT NOW* is to file for an extension. You *CAN* do that right now. Just understand that if you e-file the extension it will just "sit there" on the TurboTax servers until the IRS opens e-filing some time in the 2nd or 3rd week of Jan 2020.

If you file the extension online, then when you get to wherever you're going you can log in to your online TurboTax account and check the status of your extension to see if it was accepted or not. Then  you can deal with it from there if it was not accepted. Doing all this before the Apr 15 filing deadline will save you a "LOT" of headaches.

BM9NBA
Returning Member

2019 Tax refund

Alright, I just file an extension by using the add a state thing right? My order for the tax return says that e-filing is included so I figured that meant I did file, but they still say ready to mail for Federal and State so was just kinda confused. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies