turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Retired mil, now working at DOD as civilian. Was assigned for 5 months to Djibouti City,Africa. Since this is a combat zone, do I qualify for combat zone exclusion?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Retired mil, now working at DOD as civilian. Was assigned for 5 months to Djibouti City,Africa. Since this is a combat zone, do I qualify for combat zone exclusion?

Only members of the military who serve in a Combat Zone or Hazardous Duty area qualify for the "combat pay exclusion".

How Much of My Combat Pay Can I Exclude? (from IRS Publication 3 Armed Forces Tax Guide)

Enlisted member, warrant officer, or commissioned warrant officer. If you are an enlisted member, warrant officer, or commissioned warrant officer, none of your combat pay is included in your income for tax purposes.

Commissioned officers (other than commissioned warrant officers). If you are a commissioned officer (other than a commissioned warrant officer), there is a limit to the amount of combat pay you can exclude. The amount of your exclusion is limited to the highest rate of enlisted pay (plus imminent danger/hostile fire pay you received) for each month during any part of which you served in a combat zone or were hospitalized as a result of your service there. For 2016, the applicable amount is $8,222.10 per month (that is, $7,997.10 for the highest enlisted pay + $225 for imminent danger pay).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

Only members of the military who serve in a Combat Zone or Hazardous Duty area qualify for the "combat pay exclusion".

How Much of My Combat Pay Can I Exclude? (from IRS Publication 3 Armed Forces Tax Guide)

Enlisted member, warrant officer, or commissioned warrant officer. If you are an enlisted member, warrant officer, or commissioned warrant officer, none of your combat pay is included in your income for tax purposes.

Commissioned officers (other than commissioned warrant officers). If you are a commissioned officer (other than a commissioned warrant officer), there is a limit to the amount of combat pay you can exclude. The amount of your exclusion is limited to the highest rate of enlisted pay (plus imminent danger/hostile fire pay you received) for each month during any part of which you served in a combat zone or were hospitalized as a result of your service there. For 2016, the applicable amount is $8,222.10 per month (that is, $7,997.10 for the highest enlisted pay + $225 for imminent danger pay).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies