turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mooreb500

My wife was a ca resident. I am active duty military. We live in ct now. my home of record is wi. can I use wi for her residence also? She never lived there.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife was a ca resident. I am active duty military. We live in ct now. my home of record is wi. can I use wi for her residence also? She never lived there.

A nonmilitary spouse cannot just choose the service member’s state or “inherit” or “adopt” that state upon marriage.

At a minimum, the spouse must have lived in that service member’s resident state before “claiming” it as their own resident state for MSRRA qualifications. The spouse must also be able to prove residency by being registered to vote, maintaining a driver’s license, and any other residency requirements of that state. 

Military Spouses and State Taxes https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

View solution in original post

1 Reply

A nonmilitary spouse cannot just choose the service member’s state or “inherit” or “adopt” that state upon marriage.

At a minimum, the spouse must have lived in that service member’s resident state before “claiming” it as their own resident state for MSRRA qualifications. The spouse must also be able to prove residency by being registered to vote, maintaining a driver’s license, and any other residency requirements of that state. 

Military Spouses and State Taxes https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies