turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trevin34

My son was unemployed for 8 months than join the military he didnt earn income until after 8th month can i claim him ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son was unemployed for 8 months than join the military he didnt earn income until after 8th month can i claim him ?

Answered in comments.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

How old was he at the end of the year?  Was he in school anytime during the year?  Did he live with you for over six months?  Did he collect unemployment?  Did he make over $4150?  Did he provide more than half his own support for all of 2018 (value of housing, food, transportation, education, recreation) ?
trevin34

He was 21, was not a student, i provided everything he left for the navy mid August earned all his income after he left

and how much income did he earn for the year?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
trevin34

10k signing bonus, idk what he has earned as income it is over 10k so around 20plus or minus

Your son made way too much for you to be eligible to claim him given that he was not a student and over 18 years old.  The limit is $4150.
trevin34

thank you, I wasn't sure if I supported him for over 8 months,and didn't earn income until after that time.

Answered in comments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies