turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lholiskey

My husband and I are both active duty military members. Maryland keeps trying to tax his income even though he doesn't pay MD taxes, I do (he's Ohio). Is this right?

I am a legal resident of Maryland, he is a legal resident of Ohio.

Ohio makes it simple enough to where I can split the income to show who's is who's. But Maryland wants to take my income and his income. This doesn't seem right but the only way around it is to file as a non-resident or part-year resident but I'm not sure if that is right either. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My husband and I are both active duty military members. Maryland keeps trying to tax his income even though he doesn't pay MD taxes, I do (he's Ohio). Is this right?

You can also file as Married Filing Separately in Maryland.  His income is not taxable in Maryland regardless.  However, Maryland gives you the Married Filing Separately option to calculate MD tax on only your income.  Please click on this MD website link with more information:  Determine Your Filing Status - Maryland Taxes - Comptroller of Maryland

If you feel this is a better option for your MD return, you may follow the instructions in this FAQ to do so:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You can also file as Married Filing Separately in Maryland.  His income is not taxable in Maryland regardless.  However, Maryland gives you the Married Filing Separately option to calculate MD tax on only your income.  Please click on this MD website link with more information:  Determine Your Filing Status - Maryland Taxes - Comptroller of Maryland

If you feel this is a better option for your MD return, you may follow the instructions in this FAQ to do so:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies