turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My address on my w2 is [PII removed] which is a military base.. Do I use my home address to file

I am a soldier in tx but my legal state of residence is VA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My address on my w2 is [PII removed] which is a military base.. Do I use my home address to file

In both the "My Info" section for your mailing address and in the W2 entries there is a box for "Address Type" that has  drop down menu.  There you can select the different types that pertain to you.  You want your mailing address to be where you want to get mail concerning this return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies

For your tax return Personal Information, you will enter your permanent mailing address.  However, your W-2 should be entered exactly as it is in the Wages & Income area.

sccas
Employee Tax Expert

seems like TT doesn't clear the error if you enter a military address

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The address where you can get mail from the IRS goes on your return. The address on your W2, goes in the W2 section.

Blessd

I have this same question. My military address on my W2 is similar. However, TT is requiring me to enter a zip code and state, although there’s not one on my W2. How do I proceed? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

In both the "My Info" section for your mailing address and in the W2 entries there is a box for "Address Type" that has  drop down menu.  There you can select the different types that pertain to you.  You want your mailing address to be where you want to get mail concerning this return.  

Did you manage to figure out how to input? I am having the same issue. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@korazonz55  Enter your permanent address in the personal section.

In the W2 section, where it has employee's address, deselect US and select Other

Select APO

For the state code, select AA, AE or AP

The zip remains as your permanent residence. No worries.

You want your address in the personal section to be the best address to contact you anytime in the next 3 years regarding this return. While the W2 should show that you were not at your home address.

desully

I had the same problem I just did the APO AA, and during my final check, after talking to a few turbo tax people switched it to my state that I am stationed in and my houses zip code.

amojen7

So for the people that have a military W2 with no address in the employee section, did you just put your home zip, city and state? 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would enter your home address. This is considered your state of legal residency (SLR) and is where you were living when you entered the military. It is possible to change your state of legal residency.

Here is a TurboTax article about the military and state of legal residence.

dashana03

hey did you ever manage to get this figured out. currently experiencing this exact situation.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Your permanent home address of record will go in the My Info section as your resident state. 
You can also enter a mailing address for any correspondence. 
In the section for your Form W- 2 titled OK, let's review your form and fill in any missing info click the drop down to Show Employee Information and  enter your mailing address, which can be different from your home of record address. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies