Married filing Seperate ( Hes In the Navy)

Last Yr I Filed Taxes and Always do Head of Household . We Arent Living Together Clearly , But when i claimed my daughter ( not his) he had got a bill for 1400 Dollars . I Start Work soon and filled my W4 out as Married Filing Seperately , should i change it or keep it that way ? im new to this and i just dont want the irs after me .
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What you claim at work does not have to match your actual tax return filing status.  The W4 is just to tell your employer how much withholding you want taken out.  

Carl

Also be aware that for a married couple to file separately will automatically disqualify both of you for a number of tax credits you would otherwise qualify for if you filed joint.

For others reading this, there are situations where a married person can file HOH. But the requirements are strict and will have a good chance of triggering an audit. The requirements are at https://www.1040.com/tax-guide/faq/can-a-married-person-claim-the-head-of-household-filing-status/ so make sure you can prove you meet every single one of them.

Okay So We Have not Lived Together in 3 Years , My employer sent me a new W4 , Do I File HOH Since its me and my 2 children ? i just dont want it to interfere with my taxes at the end of the year

So Should I Refill my W4 out as Single ? my employer just emailed me it

You can put down anything you want on the W4.  That is only to tell your employer how much withholding to take out.  It doesn't have to match your actual tax return.   Go ahead and put Single if you want.  Single just means they will take more out for withholding so you might get a bigger refund on your tax return.  I'm married but claim Single at work to have more taken out.

thanks hun i am changing it now