turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Its telling me I have to pay but I am military.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Its telling me I have to pay but I am military.

There are 2 free products that active military can use that I will tell you about, but you are not in either one of them.  Please read this entire long post before making a decision. 

You appear to be using "Live Deluxe" which is a paid upgrade to Deluxe that has on-demand live help from a CPA/EA tax pro during preparation and a final review of your return, which they will sign.    Live Deluxe is 119.99 for a Federal return, and 44.99 for a State return.  If you want to get back to regular Deluxe, you'd first have to remove that Live feature, and then use the Military discount site.    If you wish, here's how to remove "Live" and get back to regular Online TurboTax:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4140092-how-do-i-remove-turbotax-live

Regular Deluxe has free Federal and State returns for E1-E5 pay grades or a small discount in higher products.  Higher pay grades get a small discount in Deluxe and higher products.  You should sign in each time at the military page at this link.  There is a SIGN IN link at the top right on that page.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/military-edition.jsp

There is another free product that all military pay grades can use called TurboTax Free File Program, which is free for both Federal and State returns.   There are no fees or upgrades.  It can prepare all the usual Federal forms.   You have to meet ONE qualification:

1) Active military (also Reservists and National Guard) with military W-2 and a 2018 AGI of $66,000 or less
2) Any other filers with 2018 AGI of $34,000 or less
3) Anyone eligible for EIC (earned income credit.)

See this FAQ for more info:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

If desired, here's how to switch and start over in TurboTax Free File Program.

NOTE:  If you switch to Free File Program by that method, and find out later you don't qualify, you won't be able to go back to regular Online TurboTax in that same account.  So instead of switching that way, if you wish you could start a new account (User ID) at the Free File Program website, which would maintain the option of returning to the other Online TurboTax account, if necessary.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies