turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"I am a Florida resident on active duty military and got stationed in Hawaii. My spouse, who is national gaurd moved with me and joined the Hawaii gaurd . Is my spouse considered a Hawaii resident or a Hawaii non-resident. Does my spouse have to pay Hawai

We have been in hawaii for a year. My w-2 says FL and hers says HI. The only income she gets is from the Hawaii National Gaurd
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

"I am a Florida resident on active duty military and got stationed in Hawaii. My spouse, who is national gaurd moved with me and joined the Hawaii gaurd . Is my spouse considered a Hawaii resident or a Hawaii non-resident. Does my spouse have to pay Hawai

It depends.  Please see this FAQ for more information (esoecially Joe and Mary example):  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

There are two possibilities:

She is (or became) a Florida resident.  If this is the case, then you file a Hawaii return and "zero out" the income for Hawaii (if Hawaii state tax was taken out).  This can be done either by entering in TurboTax that her Hawaii income was zero or asking her employer (National Guard) to issue a corrected w-2 with Florida as her state of record, zero income for Hawaii, but Hawaii tax taken out. This will also let them know to stop taking out Hawaii tax.

She is not a Florida resident.  In this case, you need to file a Hawaii return.  Her presence in the state would make her a Hawaii resident for 2016.  Make sure in TurboTax that your of your W-2 is  marked as military, so that your income is excluded for Hawaii

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies