turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marks_dsm

I'm active duty military, my state of residence is Pennsylvania, but I am stationed in Kansas. Last years turbotax it was easy. Can't figure out how to do it this year!

How do I get my taxes reimbursed through turbotax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I'm active duty military, my state of residence is Pennsylvania, but I am stationed in Kansas. Last years turbotax it was easy. Can't figure out how to do it this year!

Yes, you can claim a reimbursement of tax from PA.  What you will need to do is make sure that in the Personal Information screen, when it asked the state you lived in, select Pennsylvania (not Kansas).  You are not considered to be living in Kansas if you are only stationed there for active-duty.  In addition, where it asks if you worked in another state, click no, for the same reason.

Next, after entering in your W-2, you come to a screen asking Do any of these uncommon situations apply?  Check the first box for active duty pay.

If that hasn't already calculated a full refund, then return to the PA return and make sure that when you are asked about your military income, that you indicate you were not stationed in PA.  This should finalize you being able to get the refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim a reimbursement of tax from PA.  What you will need to do is make sure that in the Personal Information screen, when it asked the state you lived in, select Pennsylvania (not Kansas).  You are not considered to be living in Kansas if you are only stationed there for active-duty.  In addition, where it asks if you worked in another state, click no, for the same reason.

Next, after entering in your W-2, you come to a screen asking Do any of these uncommon situations apply?  Check the first box for active duty pay.

If that hasn't already calculated a full refund, then return to the PA return and make sure that when you are asked about your military income, that you indicate you were not stationed in PA.  This should finalize you being able to get the refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You do not get a full refund for being on active duty under PA law.  ONLY the W2 military active duty pay is exempt from PA income tax when stationed out  of PA.  Any other income is taxable by PA.  You would only get a full refund if your ONLY income was military pay.
Manage cookies