turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a member of the Pa Army National Guard and this year Social Security tax was not deducted from our pay. How will this effect 2020 return and how do I document?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

I'm a member of the Pa Army National Guard and this year Social Security tax was not deducted from our pay. How will this effect 2020 return and how do I document?

The taxes were deferred, which means you have to pay them back, either through increased withholdings on future wages, or you will receive an invoice from your employer if that is not possible because you separate from service. So, you don't need to be concerned about it on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Here's the details on what DFAS said about that, and how they will be handling it:

https://www.dfas.mil/taxes/social-security-deferral/

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies