turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Missouri but work on a military base in Illinois both as a Reservist and a full time civilian employee. Do I have to do a Missouri and Illinois tax return? Why?

Confused on how this works and why I would need to file more then one when my W-2 shows Missouri and that I paid state taxes. Am I paying taxes in both states? Should I be getting taxes back from one or the other? Do I not need to file an Illinois tax return at all?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

I live in Missouri but work on a military base in Illinois both as a Reservist and a full time civilian employee. Do I have to do a Missouri and Illinois tax return? Why?

Your earnings for serving in the Armed Forces Reserves are NOT taxed by Illinois.

But your earnings from working as a civilian in Illinois ARE taxable by Illinois.

Therefore you must file a non-resident Illinois return, in addition to your home state Missouri return.

You'll be able to take a credit on your MO return for the taxes paid to IL, so you won't be double-taxed.

In TT, be sure to complete the non-resident IL return before you do your MO return, so that the credit can be calculated and applied correctly.

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/questionsandanswers/Pages/100.aspx

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies