turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I currently owe $548 dollars in state tax for Indiana while I am currently station in Texas for the Navy. Is there a way to get that number down?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I currently owe $548 dollars in state tax for Indiana while I am currently station in Texas for the Navy. Is there a way to get that number down?

It depends.  Since Indiana does tax military income (although $5,000 is excluded), it is difficult to say if there are additional credits to which you are entitled to.  However, I can think of two things.  First, make sure that your W-2 is marked as active duty military:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online, click take me to my return, then pick up where I left off.
  2. Click on Wages and Income, then Edit on your W-2
  3. Scroll through the screens until Do any of these uncommon situations apply?  Make sure the Active Military Box is checked.

Second, make sure that you have selected Out of State as the Indiana county in which you live and work in.  Indiana charges county taxes on the state return, and if you have left in your old county of residence, it is probably counting that when it should not.  While you are still considered a resident of Indiana because of military residence rules, you are not a physical resident of any county and should not claim any.

Having said this, if you have an opportunity to establish Texas residency by filing DD Form 2058 with DFAS, you might find it advantageous to do so, because Texas has no state income tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  Since Indiana does tax military income (although $5,000 is excluded), it is difficult to say if there are additional credits to which you are entitled to.  However, I can think of two things.  First, make sure that your W-2 is marked as active duty military:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online, click take me to my return, then pick up where I left off.
  2. Click on Wages and Income, then Edit on your W-2
  3. Scroll through the screens until Do any of these uncommon situations apply?  Make sure the Active Military Box is checked.

Second, make sure that you have selected Out of State as the Indiana county in which you live and work in.  Indiana charges county taxes on the state return, and if you have left in your old county of residence, it is probably counting that when it should not.  While you are still considered a resident of Indiana because of military residence rules, you are not a physical resident of any county and should not claim any.

Having said this, if you have an opportunity to establish Texas residency by filing DD Form 2058 with DFAS, you might find it advantageous to do so, because Texas has no state income tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies