turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

splevin15

I am filing "married joint" for the first time. I am Active duty military stationed in SC. My home of record is TX. My wife works in SC. Under state do we do res or NR?

I cannot tell if it is taking into account that my state (TX) is a non tax state. All it shows is SC and a substantial amount I owe back. The difference is the Resident or NR button. I work in the military here but am a TX Resident. My wife is a resident.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I am filing "married joint" for the first time. I am Active duty military stationed in SC. My home of record is TX. My wife works in SC. Under state do we do res or NR?

Your military income is not taxable in South Carolina, because you are a Texas resident.  You will want to hit the NR button for this to calculate correctly in TurboTax.  South Carolina only has one return, but they use a form to determine resident vs. nonresident income.  You will need to select nonresident in order to have your military income excluded.

Congratulations on your marriage.  Hopefully you will have an opportunity to have your wife also establish TX residency.  If she does so, she will be a TX resident (and also will not have to file state income tax returns), no matter where you may be stationed in the future.  Here is an FAQ with more information on this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Your military income is not taxable in South Carolina, because you are a Texas resident.  You will want to hit the NR button for this to calculate correctly in TurboTax.  South Carolina only has one return, but they use a form to determine resident vs. nonresident income.  You will need to select nonresident in order to have your military income excluded.

Congratulations on your marriage.  Hopefully you will have an opportunity to have your wife also establish TX residency.  If she does so, she will be a TX resident (and also will not have to file state income tax returns), no matter where you may be stationed in the future.  Here is an FAQ with more information on this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies