turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am active duty military and have not lived in Maine since my original enlistment

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I am active duty military and have not lived in Maine since my original enlistment

ME is still your state of residence (home of record) for tax purposes.

State Military Filing Rules

In the Personal Interview do not select "Lived in another state in 2016". That question only applies if you changed your state of residence in 2016. 

Active-duty military are considered to live in their state HOR no matter where they are stationed. Their active-duty pay is considered to be earned in their state HOR. If you had non-military income, answer "Yes' to the question "Did you earn money in any other states?"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

ME is still your state of residence (home of record) for tax purposes.

State Military Filing Rules

In the Personal Interview do not select "Lived in another state in 2016". That question only applies if you changed your state of residence in 2016. 

Active-duty military are considered to live in their state HOR no matter where they are stationed. Their active-duty pay is considered to be earned in their state HOR. If you had non-military income, answer "Yes' to the question "Did you earn money in any other states?"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies