turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsmit16

I am a military spouse and claim NH as home of record. I work in NC due to my husbands military orders stationing us here. When I filed my taxes, it stated that I owe NC state taxes but I should be ex

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JosephF8
Expert Alumni

I am a military spouse and claim NH as home of record. I work in NC due to my husbands military orders stationing us here. When I filed my taxes, it stated that I owe NC state taxes but I should be ex

You may need to go back to My Info to edit your spouse's information.

Make sure you select that they are active duty military.

North Carolina Military Spouse

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

NC requires you to have the same State of Residence as your active duty spouse in order for your income to not be taxable by NC.  (See the reference provided by @JosephF8 .)

The new MSRRA law allows you to choose your active duty spouse's Home of Record (HOR) as your State of Residence for tax filing purposes, even if you've never lived there.  (You can also choose your own domiciliary state if you prefer - it's your option.)  

SO, if you want your income not to be taxable by NC, enter your spouse's HOR as your State of Residence in the My Info section of TT.  

NH doesn't have an income tax, but if you enter NH as your State of Residence, and your husband's HOR is some other state,  your income would become taxable by NC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies