turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ch93
Returning Member

I am a military member stationed in VA for the last 3 years with a home of record in NY. NY state taxes were withheld from my pay. How do I get all of it back?

The program is currently showing that I'm only due a portion of what was withheld. As military with no NY income source who does not live in the state, I should receive all of the taxes withheld back.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I am a military member stationed in VA for the last 3 years with a home of record in NY. NY state taxes were withheld from my pay. How do I get all of it back?

If you meet the following conditions for nonresident status because you were stationed in VA and are required to file a New York State income tax return, use Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return:

1. You did not maintain any permanent place of abode in New York State during the tax year; and
  2. You maintained a permanent place of abode outside New York State during the entire tax year; and
  3. You spent 30 days or less (a part of a day is a day for this purpose) in New York State during the tax year.

Please see NY Information for military personnel & veterans for additional information.

In TurboTax state interview:

1. Click "State" on the left
  2. On the "We've Recommended a Residency Status" select "Change Residency
  3. Select "Nonresident
  4. Continue until the "Changes to Federal Income" screen and click "Start" next to "Received military pay"
  5. Enter your military pay on the "Military Pay" screen
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jmurdock91
Returning Member

Ok, running into the same problem. When I get to the changes to Federal Income screen there is not a start button for military pay. "Military pay, NYC benefits withholding, pension exclusion" is there, just no start button

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please make sure you checked the active-duty military box for the W-2 on the "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?" screen during the federal interview.

In the state interview, if you still don't have any button to click next to "Received military pay" then you might have to log out, clear cache, delete cookies and try again.

@jmurdock91

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies