How do I get the Free Military Discount?

Intuit

To get started, enter your military W-2 and verify your military rank when prompted within your chosen TurboTax Online product (Free Edition, Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed). Your discount will automatically be applied when you file.

TurboTax Online (Free Edition, Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed) is free for enlisted active duty military and reserve personnel.

More info:

Is there a military discount for TurboTax?

Who is eligible for the Free Military Discount?

Are there any military discounts on TurboTax bundles like PLUS or MAX?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post

How do I make the military discount work? I put everything in & when I got to the end it gave me this error:

Capture.PNG

Did you also check the box for military pay on the "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?" screen after you entered your W-2?

You are in the Irs.gov site. This is not where military should go to file for free. Go to Turbotax.com - Click on products and pricing - then click on Military. This will bring you where you need to file for free, if you are military.

My husband is active duty military but I paid $80 yesterday to file our taxes within the app. Can I please be reimbursed?

Here is the customer support contact number to work any refund issues.

So, if I got out in June 2019 I can't get the discount? I was active duty for half of 2019, I feel like I should get the discount. 

This year TurboTax will recognize your W2 as Military Pay and apply the discount.  

@Courtneywedeles 

It did not automatically apply it to mine.  I clicked on the military option in the uncommon situations section (turbotaxonline.intuit.com) as well.  

I suggest rechecking your answers in the "My Info" section concerning military service.  Be sure to indicate "Current or Former" military and continue all the way through the questions about your rank as well.  Be advised the Military Free file is for enlisted ranks. 

Also be sure as mentioned above when you enter your military pay W2 that in the follow on question you have indicated that the pay is "Active Duty Military Pay".

Your response led me to the right direction.  I had all of that filled out.  I decided to try something though that may helps others:  if you have filled everything out, unclick and reclick everything.  Not sure if that will help someone else - rather be safe than sorry.

Thank you for your response.  Wouldn't have clicked on those pages without your push!