Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

idme
Level 1

Hi, I am in the military I claim CT as residence but live in NM do I need to claim and pay tax for purchases in NM such as Internet being Active Duty stationed in NM?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I am in the military I claim CT as residence but live in NM do I need to claim and pay tax for purchases in NM such as Internet being Active Duty stationed in NM?

You do not have to include the sales tax for things you purchased in New Mexico on your Connecticut state tax return for the use tax.  The use tax applies to items purchased and "USED" in the state for which no sales tax was paid.  Since you were in New Mexico, it does not apply.

Use tax is the tax you are required to pay when you use a taxable good or service in Connecticut on which you did not pay sales tax to a retailer. The use tax is complementary to the sales tax. Together, the sales and use taxes treat purchases of taxable goods and services that are used in Connecticut equally, whether the goods and services are purchased within or outside Connecticut.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Are you referring to CT use tax?
idme
Level 1

Yes I am

You do not have to include the sales tax for things you purchased in New Mexico on your Connecticut state tax return for the use tax.  The use tax applies to items purchased and "USED" in the state for which no sales tax was paid.  Since you were in New Mexico, it does not apply.

Use tax is the tax you are required to pay when you use a taxable good or service in Connecticut on which you did not pay sales tax to a retailer. The use tax is complementary to the sales tax. Together, the sales and use taxes treat purchases of taxable goods and services that are used in Connecticut equally, whether the goods and services are purchased within or outside Connecticut.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies