Form 2106 Filing Status

Form 2106 Filing Status

I realized I missed my expenses for military duty by using form 2106. I put these figures in on the amendment and it shows I’d have another $1200 coming back to me. My question is can I use the form 2106 and still file MFS even tho I’m a reservist or can I only use this form if MFJ?

Form 2106 Filing Status

You can use this form with your filing status.

Form 2106 Filing Status

So no matter what filing status you use, you can submit the 2106 with it?

Form 2106 Filing Status

Yes, the use of Form 2106 has no filing status restrictions. You can file Married filing separately and use Form 2106.

Form 2106 Filing Status

I am not military, but reported the same job expenses I always have, but now the program insists that I make a choice for using form2106, no of which apply.  I'm not military, not handicapped, not charging the state a fee or contract, not a reservist, not a performing artists etc.  If I don't qualify as one of these why doesn't it just say so instead of demanding I check a box that doesn't apply?

Form 2106 Filing Status

The program needs to know if any of the conditions apply to you. By stating that they don't, TurboTax has proof that you read the choices and confirmed that by checking the box. That way your choice is documented, in case there is a disagreement about it later on.

Form 2106 Filing Status

I would not do this because some business expenses may still be deductible on your state return