Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For my state taxes it’s showing that I owe over 600 dollars. But I am active duty military, my military pay is tax free in Pennsylvania. How can I amend my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

For my state taxes it’s showing that I owe over 600 dollars. But I am active duty military, my military pay is tax free in Pennsylvania. How can I amend my return?

You do need to file a resident return for PA.  You would exclude your military pay.  You must send in a copy of your W2 and PCS orders showing your move to CA  as proof that your active duty military income was earned outside of PA.  Here is a link with instructions to send in the documents when e-filing your returns.  Here is the PA tax reference.  All other pay is taxable to PA as a resident.  

When you enter your military W2 information be sure to check the box for "Active Duty Military Pay" in the follow on questions.  Be sure you have selected PA as your resident state in "My Info" and indicate that that you did not live in any other state.  

Edit your PA return in the state interview.  Select "Update" for the "Income and Adjustments" section. The military pay should be excluded on the "Compensation Summary" page, but if not, you can edit and exclude it yourself there. 

For CA your military pay is not taxable since you are a nonresident. If military pay is your only pay you do not need to file in CA.  If you have other pay you will file nonresident CA for that income.  You can get a credit on your PA return for taxes paid to CA on that income.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You asked how to "amend", have you already successfully e-filed your returns, or mailed them?

YES I have already submitted my taxes

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Here are links for both online and desktop instructions to amend your 2019 tax return.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

How do I amend my 2019 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

adom1123
Returning Member

I have the same question but I have not yet submitted mine. Mine are still showing in progress. How do I correct it or do I even need to file?

Pennsylvania Resident living in California on Active Duty orders the whole year but showing as owing money.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You do need to file a resident return for PA.  You would exclude your military pay.  You must send in a copy of your W2 and PCS orders showing your move to CA  as proof that your active duty military income was earned outside of PA.  Here is a link with instructions to send in the documents when e-filing your returns.  Here is the PA tax reference.  All other pay is taxable to PA as a resident.  

When you enter your military W2 information be sure to check the box for "Active Duty Military Pay" in the follow on questions.  Be sure you have selected PA as your resident state in "My Info" and indicate that that you did not live in any other state.  

Edit your PA return in the state interview.  Select "Update" for the "Income and Adjustments" section. The military pay should be excluded on the "Compensation Summary" page, but if not, you can edit and exclude it yourself there. 

For CA your military pay is not taxable since you are a nonresident. If military pay is your only pay you do not need to file in CA.  If you have other pay you will file nonresident CA for that income.  You can get a credit on your PA return for taxes paid to CA on that income.  

I have tried that and I’m not exactly sure where in the amendment I can have the liability tax waived. I shouldn’t owe the state any money. All my income was from active duty military wages

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Once in the amendment process, go to the PA interview, update the "Income and Adjustments" and you will get to a page entitled "Compensation Summary"  There you can exclude the military pay from PA taxes.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies