turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SaraRx

Florida Resident, Live in Maryland, Work in Virginia (remote)

I can't seem to find an answer anywhere and I've even sat the hold for almost an hour to ask the Maryland Comptroller office...

We are an active duty military family and live in Maryland but are legal residents of Florida. However, I work remote and the company I work for is in Virginia. No one seems to know which form(s) I need to fill out. Florida doesn't have an income tax and thus, no tax form to submit to my employer. 

Do I need to submit both the Virginia VA-4 (Non-Resident State) and Maryland MD MW507 (Non-Resident State)? If I submit the MW507 form, will taxes be withheld and will I get them back at a later time?

Our taxes are always such a headache. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Florida Resident, Live in Maryland, Work in Virginia (remote)

If you're the spouse of an active-duty servicemember, and your domiciliary state is Florida, your income is exempt from MD taxation as long as your active duty spouse is in MD in compliance with military orders and you are in MD solely to be with him/her.

VA does not tax non-resident remote workers.  If you never actually (physically) work in VA, your work income is not taxable by VA.

So if the above examples apply to you, you are exempt from state income tax in both MD and VA.

If your employer is mistakenly withholding MD taxes, you should submit MD Forms MW507 and MW507M to them.

If your employer is mistakenly withholding VA taxes, you should submit VA Form VA-4 to them.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies