turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sfranze85

Does the fact my husband was deployed to a combat zone for the past year disqualify us for EIC for our 2 children.

TurboTax is saying we don't qualify because he was not in country....?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Does the fact my husband was deployed to a combat zone for the past year disqualify us for EIC for our 2 children.

When entering his information in My Info, what state did you use for the state of residence?  It should be the state of his Home or Record or State of Legal Resident, not Foreign or US Possession.

When asked how long he lived or his abode in the US for EIC or the Child Tax Credit you should indicate over 6 months.

His deployment is NOT considered being out of the country on a tax return.

sfranze85

I did all of that. I used our stateside address and put him as in country for tax purposes. And it is still saying that because our income is $0 for the year and he was deployed to a combat zone we don't qualify. 

@sfranze85 wrote:

I did all of that. I used our stateside address and put him as in country for tax purposes. And it is still saying that because our income is $0 for the year and he was deployed to a combat zone we don't qualify. 

You are filing as Married Filing Jointly, correct?  If so, and you have entered everything correctly for your dependents and for your spouse and income there is no reason why you would not be eligible for EIC provided your Adjusted Gross Income is not above the amount for your filing status and number of dependent children - $53,865

Review all of your entries.  If still having this problem, clear the return and start over.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2020 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies