Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hillk28

Do you put you didn't live in the state you are stationed in for military if you are the spouse?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Do you put you didn't live in the state you are stationed in for military if you are the spouse?

As a spouse you can take the home of record of the person in the military.  There is no need to enter the state you are stationed in.  However, if you earned money in that location you will owe state tax on it if they have a state income tax..

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hillk28

Thanks @JohnB5677 , I understand that part. While filing online with TurboTax if you check you stayed in a particular state it automatically puts you down as resident. My wife had GA taxes take out but we are not residents. My home of record and GA waive state taxes for military. How would I indicate this on TurboTax? The only way I am seeing that they will not tax her GA income is marking “I made money in GA, but never lived there.”

TomD8
Level 15

Section 6(d) of this Tax Bulletin from Georgia explains how military spouses whose GA income is exempt but who had GA taxes withheld must report their GA income:

https://dor.georgia.gov/income-tax-bulletin-withholding-and-taxation-certain-nonresident-military-sp...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies