turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to pay Illinois state taxes on a military reenlistment bonus if my home of record (Washington) does not have income tax?

I was in the military and stationed in Illinois when I received a reenlistment bonus. My home of record is Washington, where there is no income tax. The IRS has recently contacted me about missing Illinois state tax money from that year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I need to pay Illinois state taxes on a military reenlistment bonus if my home of record (Washington) does not have income tax?

The income earned while you were living in Illinois is taxable to the state of Illinois.  You need to file state tax return and claim the bonus, then pay the state taxes on it.

TomD8
Level 15

@jacobblade700 

If you were on active duty when you received the bonus, and the bonus amount was included in Box 1 of your military W-2, it is considered military pay and is taxable only by your State of Legal Residence (SLR) - Washington, in your case (which of course has no income tax).  It is not taxable by the state in which you happen to be stationed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies