turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b-s-d

Disability Severance Pay from Military on W-2 (WITHHELD TAXES ALREADY RECOUPED)

If I've already received my taxed portion of disability severance pay back from DFAS, how do I account for the entire amount (100%) of severance pay on my taxes? DFAS included the entire amount as income on my W-2, even though they refunded me the withheld 25% during the same calendar year (because the disability I was separated for was VA-rated as service-connected immediately following separation). TurboTax thinks I owe a lot of money because of this.. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL

Updated 02/15/2017 - see answer below.
ToddL

If you got a refund of the tax withheld, you are half-way there. Now you have to deal with the Form W-2 that DFAS sent to the IRS.

First, you have to report the Form W-2 on your return - the IRS got it, so you have to report it on your return.

Then, go to the Other Reportable Income interview, the very last interview in Wages and Income(Federal Taxes tab > Wages & Income category > Less Common Income subcategory > Miscellaneous Income sub-subcategory). Enter the full amount of your severance pay (i.e. not reduced by the income taxes withheld) as a negative number (in parentheses)

This will tell the IRS that you are subtracting that amount from your income. Describe the entry as Military Severance Reclassified as Disability.

You MUST send in the supporting documentation listed below, with your return. Since you correcting this in the same tax year the payment was received, you will have to print and file the tax return by mail.

Paperwork you will need for either option.

· Individual Federal Tax Return for the year in which you received your severance pay (N/A if this is the first tax filing since getting the severance pay)

· Original IRS Form W-2 (some say you can get a corrected W-2 from DFAS, but that is either not possible or not worth the effort or delay).) 

· VA award documentation 

· Separation orders 

· DD Form 214 stating your severance pay amount before taxes 

Send copies with your return to the IRS; send certified mail, return receipt requested to the address listed in your TurboTax filing instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies