turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you claim active military status for 2020 if first day of duty was 12/28/2020?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Can you claim active military status for 2020 if first day of duty was 12/28/2020?

Yes, as long as your were Active Duty Military on December 31st, you can claim active duty military status in TurboTax.

Indicate this in the 'My Info' section of your return.

Click this link for more info on Military Tax Tips.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

...hmmmm...might not work.

Unless you get a 2020 military W-2 from DFAS, the software may not accept you for getting free software for Deluxe, Premier, or SE versions.  Of course, if you can use the "Free" version anyhow, it make no difference.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Carl
Level 15

first day of duty was 12/28/2020

The final military pay for tax year 2020 was posted on Wed, Dec 30 for most, Dec 31 for others. If 12/28/2020 was your first day of basic training, then I doubt you got a DFAS issued W-2 for 2020. But it's possible you did if you were paid some cash up front by the military, which is what they usually do your first "official" day of training.  The day you arrive at basic training is not your first official day.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies