turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

barkers99

Can I claim the costs for airplane flights to report for military reservist duty? Where do I do so on TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
maglib
Level 11

Can I claim the costs for airplane flights to report for military reservist duty? Where do I do so on TurboTax?

Thank you for your service. Yes it is.

This is a great resource: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/military/military-personnel-tax-tips/L9BapGyzS

Here is actual IRS info on military.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p3

TurboTax federal and state tax filing is free for US enlisted active duty military, reservists and National Guard E1-E9. The TurboTax military offer is for free TurboTax Online Free Deluxe, Premier and Self-Employed (TurboTax Live products are not included).  See the first link.

Good luck.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Assuming the Reserve location was more than 100 miles from your home  (airplane travel kind-of implies that, but it's not a lock)

Also...Go thru the "Job Expenses for W-2 Income" (Online software ) questions on the Deductions & Credits page.  (the Desktop software has it in the Deductions&Credits menu as "Job-Related Expenses" )

See also the answer here to show where the $ actually go during that interview....the TTX interview help is kind-of cryptic as to which line it goes on..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/military/discussion/how-do-i-deduct-the-cost-of-airfare-to-travel-...

@maglib   Think you can get the moderators to make a submission to improve the "Learn More", or extend the text shown in the Online and Desktop software for that middle entry that just says "Lodging".....should be "Lodging, Airplane, Car Rental" (at a minimum) as shown by Critter-3 in that other post with the same problem of where  the heck it goes so that it ends up in the right place on the form 2106

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies