turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MaxFactor

CA home of record, stationed out of state for entire year

A friend of mine just filed her taxes through Turbo for the first time. She told me she owes CA over $400. She was stationed outside of CA for the entire year, so owing state income tax doesn't seem right. I found Form 1032 which appears to confirm that she should be exempt from even filing state taxes, however she already filed and evidently owed money to the state.

If she is exempt is there a way to amend or recall the state filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you are active duty military, you are only taxed by your resident state (Home of Record).  She would file a Federal and California return only - regardless of where she is stationed.

It is possible she has a balance due to California based on her other income and her withholding.  

A Form 1032 is used by organizations, not individuals.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@CatinaT1 

I theink they are referring to CA...PUB 1032, not form 1032:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2019/2019-1032-publication.pdf

Page 5...section D

For military personnel with a California domicile: (who are)

"Stationed Outside California – California military
servicemembers who leave California under PCS
orders become nonresidents of California for income
tax purposes."   ...etc.....

@MaxFactor 

It's hard to know what the friend did when filling out her forms.  When putting in Personal Information, when the individual indicates they had a CA HOR, and were in the military....somewhere in there, or in the CA interview (Not sure exactly where), the software then asks where that person was stationed for 2019.  IF she indicated she was out of CA all year, then the tax software would automatically used the CA non-resident forms....then beyond that, she would have to have carefully indicated that most...or all of her income was earned outside of CA...unless she did have some CA income that was taxed.  Certainly her military wages are considered to not be CA income in her situation...and maybe she messed up there and indicated her military W-2, or that some of her other income was CA income.

The friend may need to seek out other help to see what she did wrong.  Certainly, she does need to print out all her forms and look at them together carefully....or...Perhaps another long-term Military person from CA who has used TTX over several years and knows what she should have indicated in the interview questions.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies