As military member my home of record is VA, but I received notice from CA to file income tax. Can you inform me why i would receive this and should i have to file f/ CA.

My home of record has never changed from moving state to state.

Why ?   Simple ... CA is sooo desperate for income that it is grasping at straws. So you may have done something like buy a car and register it to a CA address that prompted the letter.   A simple call to the number on the notice should be enough to fix this issue however be prepared to send proof of your residency if needed ... your LES is usually good. 

Of course if you had any earned income outside of the military pay a CA return may have been required.

No I didn’t have income in CA as I don’t have a second job which I know would drive a return. Trying to see if there was something else unique in CA driving this request. I’ll just call at this point