turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Appealing MT state taxes for denying MSRRA

Active duty spouse home state is Texas, I am also from Texas. This year MT send an adjustment to state taxes showing I should pay state taxes, even thought when I filed online I qualified for MSRRA as a TX resident. The last 2 yrs I've filed it's never been an issue. How do I make sure I filed my Taxes correctly or what documents do I send in with the request for review to the state? Or do I need to have an addendum done to my state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Appealing MT state taxes for denying MSRRA

You may need to call MT tax people and see what they want...sometimes they want to see the military orders assigning the service person to MT, and some kind of form showing the military person was TX.  But you'll have to ask them what they want to see.

Aside from that, I'm not sure why you are still filing an MT tax return at all.  IF you file the proper form with the MT employer (if you have one), that employer will stop withholding MT taxes, and then you don't file in MT at all.

OF course, if you (the civilian spouse) are working as self-employed in MT (cash, contractor, or 1099-MISC  income with no W2).....or if either/both of you own a rental property in MT that you get income from, then taht income is MT-taxable and requires a MT non-resident tax return.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies