turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AM I OBLIGATED TO CLAIM THE MILITARY BASIC PAY SUBTRACTION FROM VIRGINA?.

I WANT TO KNOW THIS BECAUSE I KNOW THAT IF I CLAIM THE MILITARY BASIC PAY SUBTRACTION IT WILL DISQUALIFY ME FOR THE EARN INCOME CREDIT
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Claiming the subtraction on your Virginia return does not eliminate Earned Income Credit on the Federal return.  Virginia would limit your low income credit, which is not the same thing as the Earned Income Credit.  The Virginia Low Income Credit reduces your tax up to having $0 Virginia tax, but also depends on having income below the chart at the following link:  https://tax.virginia.gov/low-income-individuals-credit

Unlike the Federal Earned Income Credit, the low income credit is not refundable, which means it is likely that if you qualify for the Base Military Pay deduction, you will get more value than if you claim the Low Income Credit, or you may not even qualify to claim the Low Income Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Claiming the subtraction on your Virginia return does not eliminate Earned Income Credit on the Federal return.  Virginia would limit your low income credit, which is not the same thing as the Earned Income Credit.  The Virginia Low Income Credit reduces your tax up to having $0 Virginia tax, but also depends on having income below the chart at the following link:  https://tax.virginia.gov/low-income-individuals-credit

Unlike the Federal Earned Income Credit, the low income credit is not refundable, which means it is likely that if you qualify for the Base Military Pay deduction, you will get more value than if you claim the Low Income Credit, or you may not even qualify to claim the Low Income Credit.

Thanks. I  do qualify for low income credit and it will give me a higher refund than Base Military Pay deduction. Can I just not claim the military base pay deduction even though I qualify for it?

Can I choose not to claim the military base pay deduction so that I can claim the low income credit from Virginia?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

What I think you can do is state that you were not outside of the state for 90 days, so that the system can use the credit.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies