turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Active duty military stationed in TX. Married filling jointly, our home of record is TX. However, my spouse received more than $600 income from MO. Do we file state? How?

We did not live in MO in 2020 but my spouse received $800 from his previous job that he left in 2019. Since I was never stationed in MO and both our home of record is TX, do we need to file for MO state and if yes, how? The questions in Turbo Tax is not applicable to us.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Active duty military stationed in TX. Married filling jointly, our home of record is TX. However, my spouse received more than $600 income from MO. Do we file state? How?

According to the Missouri filing requirements, you do need to file a non-resident return for your spouse who earned over $600 and may have had Missouri tax withheld.

Once you've determined that you need to file a nonresident state return, the first thing you want to do is make sure you've filled out the Personal Info section correctly:

1. With your return open, select My Info in the left-hand menu.
  2. Then, on the Personal info summary screen, scroll down to Other State Income, and select Edit.
  3. At the Did you make money in any other states? question, answer Yes and make sure your nonresident state(s) are selected from the drop-down.
  4. Select Continue to return to your Personal info summary.

After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to the State tab, where you'll see your nonresident state(s) listed in addition to your resident state.

Tip: To ensure accurate calculations, always complete the non-resident return first if filing in multiple states because your resident state might give you a credit for any taxes paid in that situation.

Also:

• Select the long form (if the option is available) even if TurboTax defaults to the short form.
  • Only report the income attributable to the nonresident state.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies