How can I ensure that my spouse's name goes first ... - Intuit Turbo Real Money Talk

Intuit
,Created with Sketch.38 helpful votes

How can I ensure that my spouse's name goes first (as "Taxpayer") and mine goes second (as "Spouse")?

When you start a new return in TurboTax, we'll ask for your name, occupation, state of residence, and so forth.

The info you provide automatically becomes the first (primary) taxpayer on the return, just as it would if you were filing a return for only yourself.

Accordingly, if you want your spouse to be the primary taxpayer, answer the questions about you with his or her info. You'll then provide your info when answering the spouse-related questions, which come later.

If you already transferred last year's return but want to change the name order, it's best to leave it that way.

If you didn't transfer but you need to change a name order you've already entered in the Personal Info section, it's easiest to use the Clear & Start Over feature if you're using TurboTax Online. If you're using the mobile app, you'll need to sign into TurboTax Online to clear & start over.

If you're using TurboTax CD/Download software, and you want to change a name order you've already entered in the Personal Info section, it's easiest to create a new return and start over. To do this, select File in the upper menu bar, and then New Tax Return. On the next screen, skip any option you might get to transfer last year's return and select Continue Without Transferring.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in