turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Santiago

Tax Debt

Is there subject matter expert regarding my spouse’s tax debt? My spouse didn’t pay taxes for many years - unbeknownst to me. We have never filed jointly... always ‘married but filing separately’. He was found guilty of tax evasion and served 18 months. Right now he is completing the halfway house portion of his sentence. I have filed for divorce.
Can I talk to someone about what I can expect from the IRS with respect to me? The property I own is mine... in my name.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Tax Debt

Your question is a good one but probably better addressed by your divorce attorney.
Santiago

Tax Debt

I guess I just need to know if I am responsible for any of his tax debt. He will have to pay back a considerable amount of money. I don’t want to lose my house. I hear horror stories about spouses in this situation.

Tax Debt

The IRS could only go after you if it was a joint debt of income not reported on a joint tax return that you both signed.   If you filed a separate return then what he filed fraudulently will not affect you.

If a lean is placed on jointly held property or property that was moved to your name only to prevent it from being seized, then you should consult an attorney.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Santiago

Tax Debt

The house has always been in my name.
Thank you kindly, for your quick responses. It does make sense. I just worry about it, I guess.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies